Thursday, 19 November 2009

Easy, Excellent and Eggless

You must have guessed by now what this post is about! Yes, it's about an eggless cake - I baked an eggless  cake yesterday for the first time for DH's birthday. Not having ventured into the eggless terrain, I was sceptical about the results but I was surprised - the cake turned out to be far superior to my previous cakes made using eggs.

This cake was inspired by a Vanilla Cake recipe I found in a Microwave Cookbook by Nita Mehta. Actually the cake is not for microwave but you can bake it in the convection mode if your microwave provides this facility. I made a few changes of my own to the original recipe and managed to create a Marble Cake using Nutella. You could also use cocoa in place of nutella.

This cake is so easy, that even a novice would be able to bake it! As they say, proof of pudding is in the taste - so do give it a go!











Eggless Nutella Marble Cake

Ingredients

125 gms Plain Flour
1/2 tin/200 gms Condensed Milk
1/2 cup/75 gms Unsalted Butter
1 1/2 tbsp Caster Sugar
1/2 cup Milk
2 tbsp Nutella
1 tsp Vanilla Essence
3/4 level tsp Baking Powder
3/4 level tsp Baking Soda

Method

  • Preheat the oven to 180 C.
  • Measured the required amount of plain flour and add the baking powder and baking soda to it. Sift all this into a bowl and keep aside.
  • Melt the butter. Add sugar and mix well. Then add the condensed milk, vanilla essence and milk and mix well using a whisk.
  • Pour the liquid mix (butter and milk mixture) into the bowl containing flour and fold in the flour into the liquid. Blend well and make sure there are no lumps.
  • Divide the mixture equally into two bowls. To one part, add Nutella and mix well.
  • In a 8" greased and lined cake tin/silicone cake pan, add alternate spoons of the two mixtures.
  • Bake it at 180 C for 40-45 minutes. To check if the cake it done, insert a skewer or a knife. If it comes out clean then the cake is ready.
  • Allow it to cool completely before taking it out from tin.
  • Optional: To decorate sift some icing sugar over the cake. I also added mint leaves and couple of raspberries for decoration - it's upto you how you want to do it!










P.S:  This cake was a hit in my household so I was enthused to try it again. I have baked it couple of times since last week - here are the pictures:






















No comments:

Post a Comment