Nutritionists around the world consider sprouts as one of superfoods - foods that are a concentrated source of nutrition.I was pleasantly surprised to see attractively packaged bean sprouts easily available to you in the vegetable sections of most super-markets here.You can easily grow sprouts at home using a variety of beans and seeds. Have a look at my earlier post on sprouting: How to Sprout Beans. We often use them for preparing a spicy curry called Usal but I prefer to use sprouts in salads more these days.
Bean Sprouts salad is one of the favourite salads in our household. This salad combines sprouts with some of the ingredients that are always available at home: Green Peppers, Apples, Onions, Tomatoes. You can pep up the salad by adding your favourite nuts or even pomegranate seeds.
I used a mixture of sprouts for this salad but you could use any one of them.
You will need:
Bean Sprouts - I used a mixture of Moong Beans, Moth Beans and Kala Chana (brown variety of chickpeas)
Apple - chopped into small pieces. You could use boiled potato instead.
Green Pepper/Capsicum - chopped
Tomato - cubed
Onion - chopped in to small pieces
Salt to taste
Lime Juice
Chaat Masala to taste - this is a special blend of spices used to flavour Chaat. It is even sprinkled on fruits. You can use even use some ground cumin and black pepper instead.
Red Chilli Powder to taste (optional)
First lightly steam the sprouts. I usually do this in my microwave steamer on full power for 5 minutes. Allow them to cool. Take the cooled sprouts in a bigger bowl and mix them along with the vegetables and fruits. Add salt to taste, some lime juice and chaat masala. Sprinkle some chilli powder on top. Serve cold.
I have not specified any quantities here because I usually do not mix the vegetables and fruits in any specific proportions.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment