Monday, 24 August 2009

Microwave Khandvi (Suralichi Vadi)

This is the first post in this blog. I would like to share with you all a recipe for Khandvi made in the microwave.

Khandvi is a snack that is popular in Gujarat and Maharashtra. In Marathi, it is called "Suralichi Vadi". The traditional method is a little difficult and needs some practice and patience to get it right. I have never tried making it using the traditional method as I was scared of getting it wrong. In Pune, where I come from, this snack can easily be bought from sweet shops, so I don't think many people try making it at home these days. However, here in UK, I was missing it so much... until I came across a simplistic version of this recipe made in microwave. This recipe gave me enough confidence to try it out and believe it or not - it did work the first time. We were so excited by the outcome, that my DH even volunteered to take photos of the dish. So, if you like me have never tried it before, do give it a go and surprise yourself :-)




Ingredients
1/2 cup Besan (Chickpea Flour)
3/4 cup Yoghurt
3/4 cup water
Chilli-Ginger paste made by crushing one green chilli and 1 inch piece of ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp turmeric
a pinch of asafoetida (hing)

Tempering

1 1/2 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 green chilli - chopped fine
few leaves of coriander chopped
little fresh coconut grated

Method

  • Mix besan, yoghurt and water well. Ensure that no lumps are formed.
  • Pour the mixture into a microwave-friendly dish and cook in microwave on 80% power for 4 minutes.
  • Add turmeric, chilli-ginger paste, salt and asafoetida to the mixture, stir well and microwave on high for 3-4 minutes or until the mixture is thick.
  • Spread the mixture quickly and thinly on plastic sheets and allow it to cool for 5 minutes.
  • Cut it into strips about 1 inch wide and make rolls.
  • Prepare the tempering now - heat oil in a microwave dish for couple of minutes and then add mustard seeds and green chillies. Pour the tempering over the rolls.
  • Garnish with grated coconut and chopped coriander leaves and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment